In 1889, the Salem Public Library opened its doors in its present location in the Historic District of Salem after being offered to the City for this purpose by the family of John Bertram, local sea captain, merchant, railroad magnate, and philanthropist. The brick and brownstone Italianate mansion had been the residence of Captain Bertram, one of the richest men in Massachusetts of his time. Today the Library serves the needs of the present-day diverse, creative, and eclectic culture of Salem. For more information, visit http://www.noblenet.org/salem/.
For a local walking tour of the McIntire Historic District that begins and ends at the Salem Public Library, click here.