The Revere Public Library was established in 1880 on the first floor of the Town Hall. A temporary relocation after a fire in 1899 prompted local civic groups to advocate for more dedicated space. In 1901, Revere became one of the 43 public libraries in Massachusetts funded by industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who gave $20,000 to the town in order to build a public library. The Georgian Revival style facility, boasting hand rubbed oak paneling and fine millwork, opened its doors to the public on November 18, 1903. Today, with a mission to “foster the intellectual and cultural life of the community” of Revere, the Library is hoping to build an addition to the original Carnegie building, one of the few to have never expanded. For more information, visit http://www.reverepubliclibrary.org/.