The Nevins Memorial Library was founded on the wishes of a man with a love of books. Methuen textile manufacturer David Nevins, Sr. purchased land in 1868, but passed away before his dream could be realized. His children commissioned the library he envisioned, and in 1883, work began under the supervision of Boston architect Samuel J. F. Thayer, designer of the Dartmouth College Library. The Library was constructed in a Romanesque Revival style made popular by Thayer’s mentor, Henry Hobson Richardson, at a cost of $75,000. While updating has occurred to meet growing collection and patron needs, many of the fine, original features remain, including oak finishes, stained glass windows, alcoves, archways, spiral staircases, and brick fireplaces. In 2014, the Library opened the first phase of the Garden at the Nevins Library on its eight-acre park setting, another outlet for the Nevins’ reputation for expansive programming. For more information, visit https://www.nevinslibrary.org/.