The Malden Public Library began in a small room in the Town Hall in 1879. A donation by Malden’s first mayor, businessman Elisha S. Converse, and his wife, Mary, financed the building of the Converse Memorial Library where the library is located today. Opened in 1885 and designed by renowned architect H.H. Richardson, the Library is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A new addition and the Ryder Art Gallery add to this impressive facility. For more information about this library, which has evolved with its patrons, offering extensive early literacy programs and materials in ten languages, visit http://maldenpubliclibrary.org/.