The Lynn Public Library began as a Social Library in 1815, growing from a charter organization with 205 volumes to a Library Association that moved as the collection grew. When the Free Public Library was established in 1862, additional moves ensued until a permanent home was made possible through a bequest to the City in 1893 by Mrs. Elizabeth Shute. The Renaissance Revival style design by Massachusetts architect George A. Moore won the competition, and Mrs. Shute’s library opened its doors in 1900 and continues to serve patrons today. The Library once included other branches, two of which were built by donations from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, but they have been sold in order to allow for the restoration and modernization of the original library at 5 North Common Street. Listed as a National Historic Site, the Library is an integral part of this seaside city, boasting rich ethnic, creative, and architectural diversity. For more information, visit http://www.noblenet.org/lynn/.