The Lawrence Public Library has its roots in the Franklin Library Association, founded by influential citizens in 1847 as a merger of the Lawrence Athenaeum and the Lawrence Lyceum literary societies. The Free Public Library, established in 1872 when the Association was turned over to the City, was built with the generosity of the White Fund and Lawrence mill owners. Today, the Library continues to serve a diverse immigrant population and operates out of its main and south branch locations. A meeting room in the Main Library is dedicated to poet Robert Frost, a Lawrence High School graduate. For more information about the library's diverse and inclusive programming, serving preschoolers to seniors, as well as the needs of immigrants and the homeless, visit www.lawrencefreelibrary.org.