The Everett Public Libraries consist of two branches. The Frederick E. Parlin Memorial Library was built in memory of the son of Albert Parlin, who also underwrote an addition and library fund in his son’s name. The original Richardson Romanesque style building, opened in 1895, was designed by architect John Spofford, and a 1991 addition garnered the library several design awards for its combination of historic structures and new construction. The Shute Memorial Library was established when William Shute left a bequest of $10,000 for the erection of a library in memory of his mother, Tabitha Shute, conditioned upon a particular location in Everett. Land was purchased in 1895, and the Library was designed by an Everett architect, William S. Lougee, in the same Richardson Romanesque style as the Parlin. Opened in 1899, further additions and renovations have taken place since then, including a Children’s Room, a south addition, and a 2015 renovation to preserve the historic structure of the building. For more information about both libraries, visit http://noblenet.org/everett/.